Wednesday, December 7, 2016

So you want to write a romance, but which line?

You want to write a romance, but where to start? Do you know which line you want to write for? If not, these tips might help you when deciding where you'll fit best, aka, writing from the heart. When you pick up a romance, what line do you first go to? Which one makes you smile and know you're gonna really love reading that story? If you say, well, I read a lot of different romances so I'm not sure. I can totally relate. I read across the board when it comes to romance, frankly, I don't think there is a line that I haven't read A LOT of. I read several books a week, sometimes two in a day, so I totally get it. But, that said, I know that I so am not a good fit for inspiration romance as a writer. Although I enjoy reading them, and at least one book a week is an inspirational, those are not for me right now. Sure, I know the guidelines and the feel of the books because I have read them, and pulling one together I probably could do... but should I? Nope, and I'll tell you why. Because I know me, and what I am comfortable with. My heart would not be in it, the dynamics would be there, but the excitement that I am enjoying and so can't wait to get to the computer to work out my next scene or page just isn't. And trust me, readers can feel every bit of what you are trying to show them in your story. Your voice, your style, everything must be there. It has to come from within, something that you know, you can feel and are excited about.


Think of it this way, if you had to go through revisions a half dozen times before you send it off to an agent or publisher, and you're more likely to go through edits or revisions after, would you rather have a story you are so into writing that you can't wait to share it with people, or one you think you may be able to write based on what is in/hot today? Me, I'd rather write what I'm excited about, what I care about and what I want to share with others. For me, that's where it comes from the heart. And readers, editors, and publishers can tell. All of what may make a romance is there but it will still be missing that something from you, something that only you can give it.


So, back to where do you fit? If you're not sure, take a piece of paper and on the top left write 'mystery' on the top right write 'historical'. Which of these two do you most enjoy reading? If neither, cross them out and move down a couple spaces and on the left side write 'inspirational' and on the right write 'contemporary'. Which of these two do you most enjoy reading? And so on, until you have all of the lines you can think of that you have paired up and singled one out of each. You'll soon end up with a few that you really enjoy the most reading. Now, out of those two or three, which one is an automatic must have now, if you were standing at the bookshelf? Which makes you smile and gets your blood pumping, making you want to rush right out so you can read it the second you have the chance? This is the line that makes you have that can't wait to experience the adventure between the covers of that book. That's where you're most comfortable and hits and pulls at your heart strings. That's where you should at least look in to when you're starting out. If this first choice isn't quite it, go to your second choice. But always try to be true to who you are and write what you'd like to read. That's where you'll be the most relaxed, that's when your guard will be down and where/when you can write from the heart.. and perhaps that's where your passion to write came from, because of how a book made you feel. Hope this helps! Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment